Monday, May 30, 2011

Robert Oliver Dalton

 This Memorial day I remember my dad, Bob Dalton who served in the army during WWII.  Boot camp training was at Camp Pendleton in southern California.  He ended up in Nome, Alaska with a few other soldiers.  He said that if there would have been a base any farther north he would have been sent there.
 Corporal Bob, Nome, Alaska, 1946.  He was not an airman....he must have been looking for a place to lean against.
Corporal Bob with two younger brothers David and Jan.

I believe that my dad was patriotic because he loved southern Utah,  his home base in St. George, the environment of the Western United States, Dixie college, books and education, especially the humanities, English literature, democratic party politics, and his family history. He didn't wear his patriotism very far out on his sleeve, maybe because it wasn't political correct for him.....?
Dad died on September 10, 2001....it has been almost ten years.  His green granite head stone is stained with hard water from the Dixie sun and water, I still miss him, admire him, and know that he tried very hard to be a good father.  I hope that he enjoyed the journey of his life.  I admire his work ethic, intellect, love for family, giving spirit, frugality, attempt at creativity in gardening and auto mechanics, and his love for me.  I believe he is keeping in touch with my progress..............Linc 


3 comments:

Hayley Dee said...

Hurrah for Papa.

Rachel said...

I haven't seen those pictures before. What a great papa

Myrle Dalton said...

Very nice, I'm glad you put this together. Time brings back some 'fond' conversations.