Tuesday, May 17, 2011

the garden of earthly delights

Nice fertile, loamy, dark, topsoil, the type that you really like to work.  Before I broke the ground, the surface looked a little rocky but it turned into a gravel pit.  I used forklift tines to break the ground, roto tilled with my new Husquevarna tiller, then raked and shoveled like a madman.  I hauled 8 tons of mulch from the St. George recycling facility and 6 tons of sand from Sun Rock....its growing!

                                      Armenian climbing cucumbers, onion starts from Ron Larson down on 600 South.  Ron has a heck-of-a-garden behind his house which is fed by a well.  I got 300 onion starts, garlic starts, and  a few Jerusalem artichoke starts from him.  The artichokes are seen in the next image.  Ron has been gardening in the same area for 50 plus years, he knows what, where, and when to plant.                                  

Jerusalem Artichokes


 Sweet corn, 10 rows 30 feet long; 40 tomato plants, 3 varieties
Early girl, Celebrity, cherry


The Flying Turnip

3 comments:

Myrle Dalton said...

My it has gotten big and beautiful! THe turnips were to 'die for' and the radishes good and the salad greens scrumptuous.

Peter said...

That is my Dad.... I am proud.

Lincoln said...

What! You think your dad is a Turnip! Well there goes the inheritance.