Saturday, March 28, 2009

Oliver H Dalton farm Chester Wales, Utah







Back when I was young, in the mid to early 60's, we would spend part of the summer "helping" grandpa on the farm. On ocassion we traveled to Sanpete county and do stuff on the dry farm, I guess there wasn't any water there. I remember a hay derrick, alot of broken down tractors and trucks that were used for parts. Someone lived in the house but I don't remember who it was. There was a small dairy queen like store that we yearned to go to.
A couple of years back when Cindy and I were traveling back from SLC we side stepped over to Moroni to see if the brain recognized anything. Much to my surprise, when we passed OHD's farm, immediate recognition. It had not changed much in 45 years. As a matter of fact a man was out in front of the property fixing a fence with baling wire and twine, just like grandpa.
The man's name was Staples. His dad had purchased the place from OHD in 1968. There was a caretaker in the home when it had sold to the Staples. When they went to take possession of the place the caretaker and family was still there. It sounded as though this was unexpected. They made arrangements for the caretaker to move into a trailer that was down the road a piece. It was good to see the place and feel my history

2 comments:

Rachel said...

How come you have never taken any of the kids there? That would be really interesting to see.

Melon said...

After Linc mentioned this to me, I took a drive down there -- and -- sure nuf, it looked just like it did long ago. And, probably not that interesting to see. Unless you had been there 45 years ago.